This is the new Dahon Mariner 2020 not to be confused with the earlier model still available from some outlets. Stronger wheels with both Front and Rear being 36 Spoke.
This is an excellent and very practical conversion of this highly desirable bike. We have given this a lot of thought having used many battery types and batteries mounted in various places front and rear on our conversions. We have concluded that the best and lightest solution, that is also as future proof as you can possibly hope for, is to select a high quality very common 36v Lithium Battery from Bosch. These have been tested by Bosch to withstand a 3 metre drop onto concrete, we don't recommend you try, but you get the picture. I promise you that no other normal e bike battery will even take a drop onto concrete from normal carrying height and not sustain some damage or complete malfunction. They are not designed to, whereas the Bosch 4aH and 6aH batteries that we have chosen are designed for builders tools and Lawnmowers, strimmers etc. etc. They have the advantage of being light (just over 1kg) so you can just have a 4aH, or a 6aH, or 2 x 4aH or a combination of the two. There is room in the top bag to carry three batteries if required and you still have plenty of room for other stuff in the expandable top compartment and in the large fold down side panniers. The beauty is that it is flexible and batteries are available from a huge number of outlets all over the world in every country where Bosch equipment is sold.
We have selected a very neat central motor with lots of power. This is sold as a completely street legal 250w output bike with a speed of 25kmh or 15.5mph. (If however you are able to ride away from the highways and away from public places, it does have the capability of unleashing 500w and a higher speed. This requires signing a disclaimer to release the info. required. We will not de-restrict it ourselves as we sell these bikes for road and light offroad purposes.) It has stacks of power at the 250w legal setting, just put the bike in a low gear and you'll climb any steep hill without effort, they really are a joy to ride.
LCD Screen to give you all the normal features and information, walk function, backlit screen for night time usage.
Puncture Resistant Schwalbe tyres, stronger 36 spoke Q-release Wheels.
We've been converting Dahon bikes to electric since 2007. Over that time period there have been huge improvements in the motors and hardware, the introduction of central motors made strides forward with the hill climbing capabilities, and with a throttle fitted this bike will power up steep hills without even doing anything, we recommend however that you keep yourself fit by at least assisting a little to increase the range of the battery. We wanted a versatile solution as far as the battery/ies was/were concerned, and for it/them to be neatly tucked away and unseen. We think we've achieved this, and produced a good looking, compact, powerful and relatively light folding e-bike, at an extremely competitive price.
After all why burden yourself with a large battery if you are just nipping around the city, but take as many as you like for your day trip. As with all e-bikes there are so many variables which make it impossible to give a precise milage, some companies understate to be on the safe side and some grossly overstate. A realistic figure is around 10 - 15 miles on a 4aH battery on the road legal setting as supplied - plenty for that trip to the shops or common commute to work. You can do the sums for the larger battery or combination of batteries.
A frequent winner of folding bike shootouts that include bikes that cost up to four times as much, the Mariner D8 is one of Dahon's most popular bicycles. It’s a high quality, lightweight bike at a surprisingly affordable price. Its portability makes the Mariner D8 ideal for trips that include a stretch by bus or train (some Train Racks are now restricted height and can be a problem for 20" wheel bikes) – perfect for multi-modal urban transport. Take it on your next adventure.
- Speeds 8
- Distance: Seatpost to Handlebar Min: 610 mm (23.8") Max: 635 mm (24.8")
- Distance: Saddle to Pedal Min: 695 mm (27.1") Max: 955 mm (37.0")
- Suggested Rider Height 142 - 193 cm (4'8" - 6'4")
- Gear Inches: 24.5" - 71.3"
- Weight: under 19Kg all in with one Bosch Battery.
- Max. Rider Weight 105 kg (230 lbs)
- Frame KA SERIES - DALLOY, CUSTOM DRAWN SONUS TUBING
- Fork INTEGRATED PATENTED FUSION TECHNOLOGY
- Handlepost FORGED ALLOY, RADIUS FUSION AND V-CLAMP TECHNOLOGY
- Handlebar 6061-T6 ALLOY, FLAT
- Headset FUSION+, ZERO STACK, CARTRIDGE BEARING
- Grips Biologic Lock-on with T- Tool
- Saddle Dahon COMFORT
- Seatpost 34 mm x 580 mm ALLOY, FORGED ALLOY CLAMP, MICRO ADJUST
- Seat Clamp Turtleneck HIGH LEVERAGE DESIGN
- BRAKES Brakes Tektro ALLOY, V-BRAKE, 110 mm
- Brake Levers 3 FINGER, Tektro ALLOY
- Brake Cables LIVEWIRE 5.0, ANTI-COMPRESSION HOUSING, SLICK CABLES, DUPONT L3 LUBRICANT, BLACK OUTERS.
- Front Hub ALLOY, MINI
- Rear Hub ALLOY, CASSETTE,
- Spokes 18/8 GA STAINLESS STEEL
- Rims 20" x 1.5" ALLOY Doublewall, Black, Machined sidewalls
- Tyres 20" x 1.75" Schwalbe Road Cruiser with Puncture Protection
- Gear Shifter Shimano 8 SPEED Revo Shifter
- Rear Derailleur Shimano Altus 8 SPEED
- DAHON SPECIAL EDITION Crankset FORGED ALLOY 6061 ARMS, DOUBLE PLASTIC CHAINGUARD, 52T
- Shimano 8 SPEED CASSETTE, 11-32T
- Bottom Bracket SQUARE TAPER W/ BOLT
- Chain INDEXED FOR 8 SPEED
- Pedals FOLDING, VP ALUMINIUM BODY - PC CAGE
- Kickstand/Support Bracket ALLOY, SINGLE, CENTER MOUNT
- Luggage Socket FRAME INTEGRATED
- Clip System PATENTED Magnetix SYSTEM
- Mudguards Dahon Chromoplastic with Stainless hardware and flaps
- Rear Carrier Aluminium
- Rear Rack Bag with fold down Panniers TopeakTrunk Bag DXP (Houses Fixed Battery Mount)
- Rear Light Battery operated mounted to rear of carrier